Thursday 2 December 2010

ASSESMENT TASK 2: CONCEPTUALISING YOUR WORK.

WHO INFLEUNCES ME IN THE FASHION INDUSTRY?

In this essay I am going to discuss how Alice Kirkpatrick sci-fi heroine collection has influenced my fashion designs. In her collection she uses many different materials to communicate this image such as PVC, neon, metallic and patterned fabric which exaggerates the human form.
The angular, geometric shapes in her collection exaggerates the shoulders and hips by making them wider. Chest, by using block colours, and also uses big collars in her collection to make the character more suspicious which makes the audience think she has something to hide. Likewise to this, because a heroin Is an over exaggerated human being Kirkpatrick makes each woman an exaggerated powerful figure. Also, she uses blocks of colour instead of blending colours together and making it flow. This is because using block colours makes the angular shapes look even bigger and stand out even more.
I like the way Kirkpatrick uses the shapes to make every heroin stand out and change the image of that person. It is as if putting her clothes on changes the identity of the woman, making her into a character where you can be whatever you want to be, this can be shown by each heroin wearing masks.
Alice Kirkpatrick’s uses unusual themes, for example recently Kirkpatrick made a dress that looked like a traffic light. However this doesn’t stop with materials, all the materials she uses are eye-catching and shocking which makes the buyer look twice in amazement. The materials she uses are usually shiny, tight, bright or have interesting patterns.
Her designs inspired me into producing designs using collage but in blocks of different media collaged together. By combining different media I produced lots of unusual designs. I experimented producing one of these designs called Blue Diamond which I based on a dictionary page and turned it into an angular dress with over exaggerated hips and wide shoulders, to balance out the dress. I then added a blue diamond to add an eye catching piece of colour like Kirkpatrick’s work. In my designs I like to over exaggerate the shapes like in her work.
In my pieces I like to use a lot of pattern to make it stand out and bright blocked colours. This has really inspired me also in my textile work, I like to produce angular prints using silk screen and layering as many patterns on to make it seem 3 dimensional. This makes my prints stand out.
I also like the way how Kirkpatrick combines block bright colour and black for her pieces the colour draws the buyer in and then they wonder who the person might be under the clothes. Her fashion collection turned into a mystery who’s behind the colour?
Altogether I really think that Kirkpatrick has given a whole new dimension into fashion combining with geometric shapes and giving all women the chance to be a heroin. She shows how fashion can help you be the person you have always wanted and can transform you by using some simple shapes and colours. I think her work will still inspire me in the future and help me develop my own style and how I want my clothes or textiles to be used.




 MY WORK AND DESIGNS
ALICE KIRKPATRICK'S WORK

By: Sophie Semmence,
Tutor: Vicky Cull,
Word Count: 532.

No comments:

Post a Comment